Questions of Interest
- As the negative aspects of the car become ever more apparent, what is the future of the automobile?
- How will the car’s future affect us?
- How does car culture affect identity, and how will changes to cars affect this?
- How does the system of automobility affect different types of people?
- How can we re-imagine the future of the car and their cities?
No technology has had a bigger impact–for better and for worse–on our lives and our planet than the automobile.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Explore the changing role of cars in society through art, videography, and development of physical prototypes of future cars.
- Work in interdisciplinary teams to explore the values, technologies, policies, and infrastructures that both shape and are shaped by the car.
- Conduct historical research on how the cars has shaped the city and engage with artists to create new visions.
- Develop an understanding about how to think of the future in concrete and collaborative ways.
The Future of Cars Course Sections
Spring 2019: Monday and Wednesday, 12:15pm – 1:30pm Ross Blakely Hall, Room 171
- Humanities Lab HUL 394
- Engineering EGR 394
- Future of Innovation in Society FIS 394
- Cultural Geography GCU 394
- Urban and Environmental Planning PUP 394
- Barrett Honor Contracts Encouraged